About Vans Musicians Wanted 2018

Voting Period: 16 - 23rd July

Vans Musicians Wanted is a campaign initiated by Vans Malaysia that aims to discover new and unsigned Malaysian bands. The campaign, a collaborative effort between Vans Malaysia and Malaysian music portal The Wknd, invites bands to submit their music for a chance to perform at the House of Vans Asia-Pacific stage in Guangzhou, China.

Competing bands will go through two judging stages: the first is a public voting stage where members of the public will get to vote for their favourite contestants. After this voting period ends, a team of three judges will then weigh in and pick out 12 bands that will go on to the second stage of the competition.

These top 12 bands will perform at The Wknd x Vans Musicians Wanted 2018 Live Showcase events, alongside one established local act. These live showcases will take place in four cities across Malaysia throughout the month of August. The judges will select one band from each showcase to perform at House of Vans Kuala Lumpur, where the grand finalists will get one final chance to showcase their talents in front of fans and the judges. The judges will then make one final selection and send one of the four grand finalists to House of Vans Asia-Pacific in Guangzhou, to fly the flag for Malaysian music on the Asian stage.

IMG_1573

Lukarts, winner of Vans Musicians Wanted 2017.
Read about their success story here. 

In addition to performing at the House of Vans stage in Guangzhou, the winning band will also be featured on Vans’ official Apple Music playlist and have their music released on limited-edition vinyl by Vans themselves.

Submissions open July 9th. The competition is open only to unsigned bands playing original music. All band members have to be legal residents of Malaysia and above 18 years of age. Bands taking part must also be able to perform at one of the live showcases in August.

About Public Voting and Judges

The public votes will account for 40% of a band’s total score. The other 60% will be derived from the judges’ evaluations of each band. The upshot of this is that even a band with a lower number of votes can still get through to the top 12 if the judges like them enough.

The judges will evaluate bands based on a few criteria, namely the band’s creativity, originality, technical quality, and how much they think the band suits both Vans’ image and their fanbase.

Vote Now!

Voting Period: 16 - 23rd July

Submissions are now closed! Vote for your favourite act below

Please read through our Terms & Conditions before submitting your track to Vans Musicians Wanted 2018.